Yes, you can get sore throat relief naturally!
Read on to find out how:
Whenever I start feeling that itching/scratching sensation of a sore throat, I know that I have to get on top of it before it gets any worse.
The best way to heal a sore throat is to act ASAP. The longer you leave it, the more time the bacteria has to multiply, the more painful your throat gets, and the longer it will take to heal. (Not to mention, that the bacteria could also begin to spread to the sinuses and ears.)
Here’s what I do to get sore throat relief overnight, in two steps:
- Throat compress
After having experimented for years, I have found two gargles that work like magic for myself and my family.
The FIRST GARGLE is simple: plain old apple cider vinegar. It’s so easy. Pour it in glass, gargle with it, spit it out, and repeat as needed.
(I had also heard somewhere that also taking a shot of ACV (apple cider vinegar) at the onset of a cold can reverse it. I tried that once or twice, and it seemed to work.)
The SECOND GARGLE is a magical recipe concocted by yours truly, and just like Buckley’s, “It tastes awful but it works”
Here’s what you need to make it:
- A glass to mix it in
- Baking soda
- Oil of oregano
- A spoon (or your finger) to stir
The quantities don’t have to be exact, I do it by eye and it always works. Here’s how to make it:
- Pour a layer of salt on the bottom of the glass, enough to cover the whole bottom surface
- Pour some baking soda on top of the salt
- Pour lukewarm water (I use tap water) to fill 2/3 of the glass
- Add 10 drops of oil of oregano (Maybe start with less if you’re not used to the taste yet)
Here’s how I use it:
- Gargle, spit, and repeat.
- I gargle roughly every two hours, or every time I go into the bathroom. I leave my glass there, so I can see it and remember to use it.
- At the very minimum I use it at least 4 times a day.
- I keep using it for another day or two after my throat no longer hurts, to make sure that I have killed off all bacteria and to make sure that the soreness won’t return.
The Throat Compress
The second part of my all-time awesome sore throat fighting duo is the compress.
This is a hack I learned since I was little from my family, and I grew up imagining that everyone knew about it.
Only recently I found out that most people never tried this, but the friends I shared it with all reported back that it worked for them too!
All you need (besides love):
- Some kind of cloth to tie around your neck: bandana, scarf, rag. Whatever you have that is easy to tie, not too long, not too short, and not too thick will work.
- Rubbing alcohol
What to do:
- Take the cloth and fold it to make it roughly the width of your palm
- Place it on a counter with the smoother side up
- Lightly sprinkle some rubbing alcohol over the length of the cloth, concentrating on the part that will cover the front of your neck
- Sprinkle some warm water on top, to dilute the rubbing alcohol
(You can also pre-mix the rubbing alcohol and warm water if you wish, but when I feel sick, I want to do the least amount work.)
- Tie it around your neck, so that it sits comfortably against your skin without being too tight or too loose.
- Wear the compress to sleep. Cover yourself up to the compress with your blanket, to keep the area heated. Do this at nighttime or during naps. Do both if you can 🙂
- Wake up feeling so much better!
Yes, you will smell the rubbing alcohol as you fall asleep, but the vapors will also help with a potential stuffed nose or sinusitis as well.
I hope that my 2 step sore throat fighter system helped you! If it did, please share it with anyone in need. 🙂
Did you try it? What’s your ultimate natural cure for a sore throat? Please let me know by commenting below!
Hope you feel better,