A Deliciously Nourishing, Natural Body Butter
… because your skin deserves to be buttered.
For the longest time I couldn’t find a commercially available natural lotion or body butter. Everything, including MANY so called ‘natural’ products from health food stores are filled with extra ingredients that I refuse to put into my body.
After all, what you put on your skin ends up inside your body, and that’s something we all need to remember. Since I couldn’t find the right ready-made lotion, I found an all natural recipe, tweaked it, and made my very own whipped body butter.
It’s a little bit involved, which is why I haven’t had the chance to make a batch recently… since my very busy 8 month old is hogging my schedule… but I can tell you that my skin misses it. A lot.
I used this whipped body butter for the last few months of my pregnancy to keep my growing body moisturized, and in the hopes of coming out the other end stretch-mark-free.
Of course, I ended up getting some stretch marks anyway, but I’m pretty sure that the butter saved my skin from getting a whole of a lot more!
Although the butter does melt to an oily texture on contact with warm skin, it quickly seeps into the skin. You can be assured that the greasy feeling doesn’t last long.
I also safely used this on my face without any break-outs or adverse reactions. Super win!
*I always recommended doing a spot check, especially if you have sensitive skin. You can never be sure how your skin will react to a new product, natural or not.
Here’s what you need:
- Raw shea butter – 1/4 cup
- Raw cocoa butter – 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup Avocado oil
*Use any pure oil(s) of your choice; these 2 are my favourites.
- Optional essential oil for fragrance (I used only a few drops of Lavender)
*Use essential oils only with extreme caution during pregnancy or when breatfeeding. Please inform yourself before using them. 🙂
- A double boiler (a pot with some water on the stove, and another bowl placed on top, but not touching the water)
- A hand blender
- Clean and dried jars or containers, preferably glass with lids
It’s easy, though it takes a bit of time, but be assured however, that you will thank me later. 🙂
Here’s how to make your natural body butter:
- Scrape up a 1/4 cup of raw shea butter, and a 1/4 cup of raw cocoa butter.
- Add both to the double boiler, and stir occasionally until melted.
- Add the coconut and avocado oils and stir.
- Remove off the stove.
- Add essential oils if desired, but only when the mixture is cool, as to not destroy the healing properties of the oil(s).
- Allow it to cool.
- Place in fridge until hard.
- Break apart using a fork, and begin whipping it with the hand blender.
- Blend for a while, up to 30 minutes.
- If the mixture becomes too soft, place it back in the fridge for 15 minutes. Then, continue whipping until you get a whipping cream texture.
- Pour the body butter into the chosen containers.
The whipped, natural body butter will melt in your hands with rich, nourishing oily goodness.
This is by far the best thing I have ever put on my skin, and I can’t wait to make my next batch!
Did you have a chance to try this recipe out? Or do you have a great recipe for an all natural body butter?
Let me know in the comments below, because I would love to hear from you.
Here’s to nourished skin,